Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Repair and Maintenance

Repair and Maintenance Questions and answers about repairing and maintaining your beloved Hornet.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
Walkers

Default Low power while riding, possible running on 3 cylinders

I pulled my 04 599 out of storage for 2 years (!!) last week and it's running a bit rough.. The bike idles beautifully, but when you put it under load it's pretty gutless. If I let it idle for a while and blip the throttle it's perfect the first time, but then if I try to rev it again it struggles a bit.

I stored the bike with seafoam, and when I ran it this week I drained the tank first, put in new gas and added some more seafoam to help hopefully.

I did the exhaust header heat check while running and all headers were pretty hot. Didn't actually check temperatures though.

I checked all cylinders for spark and they're all good. Pulled the plugs and three were slightly moist with fuel, and one was dry; otherwise they all looked fairly similar.

Air filter is clean.

What do you guys think? My inclination is a jet is gummed up? Is it possible it could be the fuel cut off valve thing that is above the carb, or secondary air cleaner? Anything else worth checking before pulling the carbs?

Thanks!

Last edited by Walkers; 09-10-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Walkers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
Momos8

Default Re: Low power while riding, possible running on 3 cylinders

Buy some of the Yamaha carb cleaner in the quart bottles. Fill the carb bowls with it and let it sit for a day or two. Be careful not to overfill and get too much running into the cylinders, don’t want to fill them with fluid. Although, if you do, you can always remove the plugs BEFORE cranking it over to push the fluid out. I’ve done this several times with about 70% success. I specify the Yamaha stuff because it will actually burn.
Momos8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
Walkers

From what I've read online the Yamalube Carburetor Cleaner was discontinued years ago and replaced with a much less effective carb cleaner 'dip', only to be used with the carbs apart.

Can you send me a link to the product you've used?
Walkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
Momos8

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/d...-motor-company

True itís not as good as the original. Fill the bowls, drain in a day or two and it works pretty well. Just used it on an old gold wing that had sat for years and only let it sit for a couple hours. Iím not saying it cures all issues all the time but if you try it and it doesnít work you were going to have to disassemble anyway.
Momos8 is offline   Reply With Quote