Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Accessories and Modifications

Accessories and Modifications Ah the fun of enhancing your motorcycle. Here you will find retailers and advice.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #1
fuelfox4949

Default Handlebar advice

I have a 06 hornet 600. My hands go numb after a hour of riding. Had the bike 4 years and its not very comfortable right now for long rides, i been trying to fix this year after year.
I'm looking to upgrade the handlebars and grips to help a bit.
When it comes to renthal what are the best choices?
I'd like to use the stock handlebars as a guideline but would prefer them to be raised up a bit thru the bar or possibly a riser.
Just looking for some advice what others bought and why and how they sit compared to stock bars.
If it helps I'm 5'9 and average i guess at 145 weight. I'm working on getting my seat more comfortable now, spring is here in Minnesota so I need to start building up my riding endurance.
As a side note I'll be buying some cr250r high bend bars for my 250r dirt bike and may see how those sit on this road bike.
Thanks for any help, talking to others will be a great starting point on what to look for.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
fuelfox4949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2019, 07:07 AM   #2
Joelittel

Default Re: Handlebar advice

First check your gloves. If they’re leather soak them in water until entirely saturated and then wear them riding until dry.

Next go out for a ride and pay special attention to how you hold the bars. My hands used to go nub too but it turned out that I was holding on way too tight. Once I learned to hold the bike with my legs the problem went away for me.

I prefer a low bar, and chose the LSL street bar (I believe). I have no idea how renthal compare.
Joelittel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:44 AM   #3
fuelfox4949

Thanks for the reply, i do that leather trick with gloves and boots.
I know Hornets are known to be buzzy and vibrate, that's why i wanted to switch the stock steel bars with some thicker aluminum bars and add pillow top grips.
I do hold on too tight sometimes and have to remind myself to use my legs more. Also have that trouble racing my dirt bike.
Hard to explain really, kinda looking for something taller and more aggressive so i can change my riding angle to see if that will help.
My current bars are rotated so there high and towards me which helped a bit, but it seems like i need a inch or 2 higher so my shoulders are not slugged forward.
When i ride i get a numb pinch between my shoulder blades and up to my neck.
I think it's because of the angle I'm riding, it got better after i rotated my stock bars.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
fuelfox4949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:03 PM   #4
Joelittel

There are all sorts of options to customize how the bike fits you. I think you should position yourself on the bike exactly the way you'd like to be when riding and measure the width of your grip, the distance from your current controls to your fists, and the height of your fists above your current controls. Then go in search of the bar that fits those measurements. It's out there.

I've always heard that steel framed road bicycles are more forgiving on a bumpy road than an aluminum framed road bike, so I image the same is true for steel vs aluminum handlebars on a motorcycle. You might get a better ride with a steel bar.

Depending on where you like to keep the rpms you can change your gearing a bit too. I don't recall exactly how it works but you can find posts on this forum that explain how many teeth to go up/down to gain what effect. I went for a moderate increase in torque which in turn raised my rpms and as a result added a little buzz at higher speeds. I think you can go the opposite direction and lower your rpms, causing a smoother ride and maybe more top end speed... or something along those lines etc etc

If your bike is buzzing at low rpms then something might be a little off. Mine is tight like a fighter jet until you get the rpms up. It would be worth getting the service manual and giving everything the once over. Even something simple like a improperly secured mini windscreen, or a line vibrating from the wind speed can cause a bit of buzz on the bars.

Hope it helps.
Joelittel is offline   Reply With Quote