Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > General

General General Discussions.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
ratchet

Default Possible purchase of low mileage 599

The other day a neighbor of mine showed me his practically new 06 599. The bike has less than 600 miles and as can be expected is near perfect. He doesn't ride it and offered it to me for $3500.

I offered $3k and he will not budge on the price. He has other toys in his garage and according to him it does not take up much space.

I would like to know your opinion(s) on whether or not to pull the trigger.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
sfive99

Default Re: Possible purchase of low mileage 599

I already have one, but if I saw another one w/ those miles, in near-new condition, for that price, I'd be on it. I flew from SF to LA to pick up mine for $3500, then rode it back to SF - and mine had 1100 miles on it, which I thought was really low. BUT, I mostly just really like this particular bike model for this particular year - I love this bike. Especially here in the US, you can't really get them anymore and, if you can, they've got much higher mileage. Mine is actually my second 599. My first was my first bike, bought w/ 37k miles. I really like these bikes.

You can always get it, ride it for a few thousand miles, then re-sell it for maybe slightly less than you bought it for, if not what you bought it for? It'd still be "new", and definitely have much less miles than any other one.

Last edited by sfive99; 06-12-2018 at 02:01 PM.
sfive99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
ratchet

I agree that low mileage bikes are very desirable. I probably will keep it for a few years and move on to something else. The mileage at that time will be less than 2k.

I really do not know if these bikes are universally desirable or have a niche following. I never see them come up for sale. Itís difficult to gauge how much in demand with so few on the market.

The bike has the original tires ($300 purchase facing me) and it will need a battery ($80) along with the carbs cleaned (not sure what the charge will be).

So, it will most likley be $4k +.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #4
Joelittel

I love mine. It’s a great performer and can practically be neglected if kept dry. Try finding those two qualities in another bike.

Bikes.com does a great job rating bikes. I suggest taking a look and comparing how the 599 stacks up against anything else that you might be interested it.

There’s a reason they don’t come up for sale very often.
Joelittel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:25 AM   #5
sfive99

Ratchet, that's something I didn't consider - service. Mine was turn-key, and I rode it as soon as I got it w/ no extra costs really... it came fully serviced.

That does change things a bit, that the bike isn't in rideable condition. At this point, the only reason to get a stock, 12-year old, carbed, non-ABS bike that needs new tires and carbs cleaned ($400ish), and probably all other fluids like brake fluid, coolant, oil(?)... is because you want that specific bike.

Aftermarket is pretty slim pickins here, too. Bike (06) was only sold for a year here, two overseas, though the PC36 (04-06) was sold for three.

I don't know, man. For $4k+, I think I'd be looking at other bikes, even another 599 with more miles. The 919 is a great bike, too. SV650, SV1000, Buell Cyclones look pretty good... All of these should be sub-$4k, and ready to roll.

... Then again, after all is said and done, you've got a "new" bike (one of the best ever made, in my opinion) for ~$4200 out-the-door. Is $4200 so bad for a new bike?

This is a tough one!

Last edited by sfive99; 06-14-2018 at 09:01 AM.
sfive99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #6
ratchet

Understood. One situation I see is that after a season of riding the bike it will no longer have that low mileage/new bike appeal. I’ll be back to owning a used bike that is thirteen (2019) years old. I’m seriously considering buying new. I’m really having a difficult time spending $4k plus on a twelve year old bike.