Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Repair and Maintenance

Repair and Maintenance Questions and answers about repairing and maintaining your beloved Hornet.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
Darrell41653

Default Throttle cable adjuster.

After I got my bike back from the shop from having the carbs cleaned the throttle free play is a little too loose.
I know about the adjuster up near the throttle housing. That one is as tight as I can get it. Still has about 1/8" play. Manual says 1/16" to 1/4" so I know I'm in the middle, but I like it pretty snug.
Is there another adjuster down by the carbs?
Suppose I have to remove the tank to get at it?
Any tips on removing the tank?
How does he lower adjuster work?

"Horsepower is like dick size; there is no such thing as "too much". Granted, you may never use all that you've got, but it sure feels good knowing that you've got it in your pocket, available to whip it out and use it anytime you want to. Or need to, even if just to win a bet ..."

Last edited by Darrell41653; 05-28-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Darrell41653 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
Darrell41653

Default Re: Throttle cable adjuster.

EDIT:

Well the tank is a right bitch to get off and on.
Actually removing the tank only takes the removal of one bolt. The problem is in getting the hoses re-attached.
Wouldn't have been so bad but for the fact that I have paws instead of hands.
Tight spaces, little pieces, & big hands make for a rough time.

I did find the lower adjuster. It is just two nuts separated by a spacer. You lengthen or shorten it by tightening or loosening the nuts.
It was set on its loosest position. That's why I was running out of adjustment on the top adjuster.
Even with the tank off it is nearly impossible to get to the nuts without removing the entire carburetor bank.
I used two small, thin, long screwdrivers to nudge them with.
Getting the top nut was pretty easy, the lower one was almost impossible.
The lower one had to be unscrewed to lengthen, thus tightening the cable.
It took me about 45 minutes to move it about 1/4".
After that, I tightened the top nut. Re-attached the tank with all 4 hoses. There was a fuel line, vacuum line, tank drain tube, & what I think was a crank case vent tube.
I'm sure the neighbors heard me cursing, of course that's nothing unusual.

After that, I fine tuned it with the top adjuster. Now I have it set right where I like it.
Nice and tight.
Yes I checked to make sure everything works smoothly, snaps shut, and no hang ups or rev change from full lock side to side.
"Horsepower is like dick size; there is no such thing as "too much". Granted, you may never use all that you've got, but it sure feels good knowing that you've got it in your pocket, available to whip it out and use it anytime you want to. Or need to, even if just to win a bet ..."
Darrell41653 is offline   Reply With Quote