Honda 599 Forum

Go Back   Honda 599 Forum > General Community > Repair and Maintenance

Repair and Maintenance Questions and answers about repairing and maintaining your beloved Hornet.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:55 PM   #1
Juanifornia

Lightbulb I'm not Sure

Okay, so I'm the first guy in my family to buy a motorcycle. Everyone has driven automatic in my family so I never learned manual. Anyways so I buy this thing at ~20k miles. When I initially start riding, all I can remember is putting it in first gear by hand because the shift lever rod fell off when I took it out for my first ride. Anyways so I put this thing in first gear everywhere. Stop signs I hold clutch in, no neutral. Just adding to get some context. Anyways, so fast forward, when I'm trying to go out for a ride, I noticed I would get high rpm's and little to no acceleration when I would hit 40mph. Then it got to the point when I would be doing 20mph, high rpm's and little or no acceleration. Eventually until I hit 3mph and high rpm's and no acceleration. Might I also mention that when I turn it on, clutch in and power, gas too, it turns on, but when I let go of the clutch, the bike is still on, and what someone told me its in neutral. Okay so I turn it on, clutch in. I put it in first by hand and slowly give gas and let go of the clutch simultaneously, it give me high rpm's and doesn't stall. It stays in "neutral". I pull the clutch, and put it in first because it some how goes out of first and I try again and it gives high rpm's and no acceleration. Although it does move at 3 mph sometimes when I put it in first and give nothing to the accelerator. Anyways, that's my problem and thank you for reading. I would take requests and all that. Thank you.
Juanifornia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
Darrell41653

Default Re: I'm not Sure

What the heck did I just read?
Are you saying that you are riding around in first gear?

First. Re-attach the shift lever. You need this.
Second. The bike is a six speed manual. That means it has six gears, but you have change the gears manually, with your foot, not your hand.

You start in first gear, wind it out to around 4,500ish RPM's, then you upshift to second.
Then third, fourth, fifth, and finally sixth.

I think what I read was that you are putting it in first gear, and winding it out to high RPM's and not getting much speed.

You have to upshift through the gears yourself. Its not an automatic where you put it in drive and it changes gears for you.

As far as the last part of what you wrote??? I'm thinking you roasted the clutch by riding around in first gear????

Can you upload a video of what you are doing?
I want to help, but I am thinking you are very confused about how a motorcycle gearbox works.

YouTube some videos about shifting a motorcycle.
"Horsepower is like dick size; there is no such thing as "too much". Granted, you may never use all that you've got, but it sure feels good knowing that you've got it in your pocket, available to whip it out and use it anytime you want to. Or need to, even if just to win a bet ..."
Darrell41653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #3
Juanifornia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell41653 View Post

Second. The bike is a six speed manual. That means it has six gears, but you have change the gears manually, with your foot, not your hand.

You start in first gear, wind it out to around 4,500ish RPM's, then you upshift to second.

I think what I read was that you are putting it in first gear, and winding it out to high RPM's and not getting much speed.

You have to upshift through the gears yourself. Its not an automatic where you put it in drive and it changes gears for you.

As far as the last part of what you wrote??? I'm thinking you roasted the clutch by riding around in first gear????

I want to help, but I am thinking you are very confused about how a motorcycle gearbox works.

6 speeds? I haven't been past second. Nice to know though lol. Yeah I really need to reconnect that thing, I ordered a piece but its a tad short so I'm gonna find someone to cut and weld it about an half an inch longer. And you are right. I did burn my clutch. Mainly because I don't shift when I should. Makes a lot more sense now. Ill post a video tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
Juanifornia

Quote:

Also I I'm trying to change the clutch disc plates but I need a socket bigger than an inch to take off this giant nut in the clutch thing. I didn't torque it to spec but I tightened the crap out of it and I leave it in neutral for a good 3 minutes and now I can top it at 30mph in first gear before the rpm's go crazy. It hits 4k rpm and I'm sailing at 30mph. I need to get a job too, I'm broke
Old 08-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
Juanifornia

Quote:

photos